I came across this article that summarizes Amy Smith’s philosophy of design for low cost solutions
Here are her 7 key points. You can read the entire article on Popular Mechanics.
- Try living for a week on $2 a day.
- Listen to the right people.
- Do the hard work needed to find a simple solution.
- Create “transparent” technologies
- Make it inexpensive.
- If you want to make something 10 times cheaper, remove 90 percent of the material
- Provide skills, not just finished technologies.
Some of Amy’s inventions and designs are also described with diagrams in another article Small, Low-Tech Inventions for Big, World-Changing Problems on their website. Amy is an editorial advisor for Popular Mechanics.